The user-friendly version of this content is available here.

The following content is copyright (c) 2009-2013 by Goods of the Mind, LLC.

This problem trains for: SAT-I, AMC-8, Math Kangaroo 5-6, Math Kangaroo 7-8.

At a raffle, the average value of a prize is $15. 88% of the prizes have a low average value of $3. What is the average value of the other 12% of the prizes?

Assume 100 prizes are available. 88 of them will have an average value of $3 and 12 of them will have the average value x. The average value for the 100 prizes is $15:

equation

Solve for x:

equation

equation

equation

The average value of the larger prizes is $103.