The user-friendly version of this content is available here.

The following content is copyright (c) 2009-2013 by Goods of the Mind, LLC.

This problem trains for: SAT-I, AMC-8, GMAT.

In their usual co-operative manner, Beetle and M'Turk have to solve all the assignments while Stalky looks after the well-being of the team. M'Turk has solved 4 science assignments and Beetle has polished up 3 English assignments. Each of them has an equal amount of assignments left to do. If the unsolved assignments are approximately 37% of the total number of assignments, how much has M'Turk left to do?

(characters from Rudyard Kipling "Stalky and Co.")

If the unsolved assignments are 37% of the total number of assignments, then the solved assignments form the remaining are approximately 63% of the total.

Denote the total number of assignments with N:

equation

equation

equation

equation

equation

Since they have solved 7 assignments, there are 4 more left to do.

And since they each have an equal number of assignments to solve, then M'Turk's share must be of 2 homeworks.